Pages

May 3, 2009

strawberry season turns into loquat season

Cherry blossom season was also strawberry season in Japan...

I found cute wax paper and stickers at a lovely, tiny store in Kobe.
But I must admit that nothing beats the real thing.

The "last batch" of fresh looking strawberries I bought the other day.

Strawberries in Japan are sweet... There are many types of strawberries in Japan and the most famous are Amao (translates to: the King of Sweet!) as seen above.

Strawberry season is now over but the mailman brought us the new seasonal fruit today!

Enter: the biwa (loquat).
My mother in law in Nagasaki sent us a box full of the fruit...

Yummy!

8 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

King of sweet. I like that!

Ruslan said...

Tulsa,

Beautiful pictures. What are these loquats? They look like apricots...

Polly said...

Strawberry season is just about to start in England, I'm very excited about that...

Loquats do look like they're related to apricots. What are they like?

Jelica said...

I was going to ask the same question as Ruslan--what kind of fruit are loquats? They sure look yummie.

Unknown said...

I love those strawberries. I can't wait for their season to start here. Although you get them in supermarkets all year round, it's not the same!

I_am_Tulsa said...

Willow, it is kinda neat isn't it?

B, exactly! Seasonal fruit is the best!

Polly, Jelica, Ruslan, I have written another post on loquats! I hope it answers your questions! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Right:
loquat=medlar

I_am_Tulsa said...

Are loquats and medlars really the same thing?
They look different to me but I have never eaten a medlar before!!!